NINE LEVELS CONNECT SEAMLESSLY IN ONE LUXURIOUS, CUSTOMER-FOCUSED AND HIGHLY-FUNCTIONAL SPACE
Giltrap’s brief was for a spectacular new building on Great North Road to showcase three premium automotive brands - located to reinforce its positioning as the ‘forefront of the end-to-end car sales experience’.
Included in this impressive building is provision for three dedicated ‘star-car’ showrooms at street level, three large office floors above and four levels of dedicated car storage and servicing below.
The design process was guided by Giltrap’s premise of “investment in enhanced engineering and innovation through better design”, and as such a number of innovative design solutions were realised.
While visually the building reads simplistic in form, it is in fact a collection of complex structural components deployed across an array of varied structural systems. At the core of the structural system is a double-storey in situ concrete truss that was developed to ensure a completely free glazed street frontage. Resisting both gravity and lateral loading, the truss visually connects the mixed-use building’s nine floors.
HEIGHT SAFETY REQUIREMENTS
- Facade access for window washing, facade maintenance, gutter repairs and maintenance, replacing glass panels.
- Fall-arrest connection during roof access.
HEIGHT SAFETY SOLUTION
With a requirement for fall-arrest and abseil on the main roof, 3M's RoofSafe Rail was selected due to its low profile, aesthetic style and robust functionality. Providing multi-user abseil capability as well as multi-user connection and fall-arrest, 3M RoofSafe Rail was installed around the perimeter of the main roof.
On level two, a level below the main roof, 3M's RoofSafe Anchor and Cable System was installed to provide continuous hands-free fall-arrest connect. With a requirement for abseil to the front facade, abseil anchors were installed at strategically identified points. Larkin Needle Frames were also installed on the main roof to allow for abseil over the high balustrade at the rear of the building.
- Australian Good Design Awards – Commercial 2019
- World Architecture Festival Awards - Completed Projects Display – Shortlisted 2019
- 2018 New Zealand Institute of Architects National Award - Commercial Architecture
- 2018 Designers Institute of New Zealand Best Awards - Gold Pin, Retail Environments
- 2018 Designers Institute of New Zealand Best Awards - Gold Pin, Office and Workplace Environments
- 2018 Interior Awards - Retail
- 2018 NZIA Auckland Architecture Awards - Commercial
- 2018 NZIA Auckland Architecture Awards - Interior
- 2018 NZIA Auckland Architecture Awards - Resene Colour Award